Jewelry is not indestructible, but with proper care your favorite jules sontag pieces can be worn and enjoyed for a long, long time.
If your piece includes a stone, keep in mind that most are one-of-a-kind and cannot be replaced. Take extra care not to drop your piece, and avoid exposure to chemicals.
general care tips:
silver, brass and copper will develop a natural patina over time. Humidity and body oils will accelerate this process. Some find the aged / oxidized finish to be beautiful and fascinating; after time, the piece truly becomes your own as it gains character.
if you prefer to maintain a brighter finish, especially on high-polish pieces:
1. remove jewelry before bathing, swimming, and exposure to extreme humidity. If your piece does come into contact with water, gently dry with a soft cloth / towel. Rings with porous stones such as turquoise, and transparent stones in a closed-back bezel setting should be removed before washing your hands.
2. be sure to apply any creams, lotions, hairspray, oils or fragrance before wearing your jewelry as these can be very damaging.
3. if you don’t plan to wear your piece for a while, store it in an airtight plastic bag, and be sure to wipe it down with a soft cloth to remove dirt and body oils. When packing your jewelry for travel, store each piece in a separate bag to prevent scratching.
4. an anti-tarnish tab placed in the bag will help to slow down the process (and we'll tuck one in with any polished piece you purchase!)
5. finally, a professional polishing cloth / pad made for cleaning jewelry can be used to restore the original lustre. These can be found at most fine jewelry stores or jeweler's supply stores. A sample is included with your purchase of one of our highly polished pieces. Never use harsh abrasive chemicals or 'dip' cleaners as these are harmful to the finish on the piece and can destroy the stones.
to help you care for your high polish (shiny) pieces, we have put together a free jewelry care kit, included with every online purchase of a piece with a polished finish!
to use the items in the care kit:
polishing pad: these magical white squares are very handy and easy to use. Gently rub your piece with the pad to quickly remove tarnish from copper, silver and brass. One pad will clean your piece many times before it needs to be replaced. When cut into strips, they're excellent for getting into the nooks and crannies. When both sides of the pad are completely black, it's time to replace! *do not use this pad to clean blackened (oxidized) pieces as it will remove the patina. Instead, a soft toothbrush, lukewarm water and mild dish soap should do the trick.
anti-tarnish tab: effective for up to 12 months. Keep this small black square in the plastic zip bag along with your piece to keep it much shinier for much longer! When the color of the tab begins to change, it's time to replace it.
if your jules sontag jewelry needs some TLC; cleaning, refinishing or repairs, please send a note to let us know how we can help (a photo is very helpful if the piece is damaged). Repairs for minor damage are free for the first year after you purchase your piece(s).
if you have additional questions about caring for your jewelry, please get in touch! You’ll find the 'contact' button at the bottom of the website.